Sunday, March 15, 2015

On being a pharmacy cashier

All right, I just submitted my first timecard for the new pharmacy cashier position I started last week.

 I get to wear comfy clothes.

First, I want to state how glad I am I started a part-time job instead of taking on a full-time. I have felt so exhausted every morning since starting this job, and it's only four hours a day. If this was going back into the corporate world, I probably wouldn't have managed to do anything but work and sleep last week.

That stated, I think I will like this job. There's a lot to learn on using the computer systems, but everyone else seems to have a good grasp on it and I was already starting to get the hang of it after the second day. Obviously the easiest scenario is when everything goes right: the person gives you their name, you find their prescription in the proper bin, you scan it, they pay for it, and they go on their merry way.

Unfortunately, everything goes right seemingly two or three out of ten times. The rest of the time, the prescription hasn't been put away yet, the doctor hasn't called in a change in medication yet, insurance hasn't processed or paid their part yet, etc. etc. Usually it's not too hard to fix these problems and inform the patient of the situation. Other times you get the people who swear this happens every time or want the prescription 10 minutes after leaving their doctor appointment.

All that aside, it's not a bad gig. The people I am working with are great. Good senses of humor, generally, and happy to help when newbie Audrey has another question.

I'm even scheduled to work a whole eight-hour shift (eep) next Saturday, so I have a lot to practice and get proficient on this week. Not an insurmountable task, and hopefully I'll readjust to working again. I even got sweet new shoes with some birthday money this weekend so my feet aren't killing me when I get home.
Mmmmemory foam.

No comments:

Post a Comment