Saturday, January 9, 2016

On dancing

I am not, and probably never will be, a dancer.

Well, a partner-type of dancer. I feel pretty awesome breaking it down solo to some 2000's pop-punk music.
More or less like this, but with lots of directing my hands at the dog. 

However, throw in a second person with some expectation of synchronization, and it all falls apart. This is something I discovered with Brian after watching a few seasons of Dancing with the Stars. Watching the celebrities struggle with their partners to learn different styles of dance, he would tell me about the steps and rhythm of waltz, quickstep, salsa and whatever other dance was on the show. Then he would try to show me.

It's not as much a "two left feet" kind of thing as much of an "I can't tell what your motions are telling me to do" sort of issue.

However, unlike the plethora of other things that I'm really really not good at, I still pursue dancing. I love grabbing Brian's arm at events, while cooking or when a good song comes on and making him dance with me. Just now, when the Avicii version of "Hey Brother" started, I decided it was time for him to put down Skyrim for a couple minutes and dance with me.  Even though I constantly miss the cues to turn under his arm or step on his feet, I spend the whole time laughing. It's one of those weird things I enjoy being bad at, which confuses me, because most things I'm bad at I simply avoid as much as possible.

I'll never be a dancing queen. I'll probably never feel like one. But for some reason, in this instance, that's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment