Monday, November 2, 2015

NaNoWriMo -- It's time

Four Novembers ago I learned about this thing called National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo. It's actually an international movement in which people take on a challenge to write 50,000 words in thirty days (about 1,666 words per day, by the quick Google search I just did).

I learned about this while I was reporting in Killeen. I thought it was interesting, but it was several weeks into November at that point, so I filed it away for "next year." Something similar probably happened in the next three years as well, and here I am, at almost 10:30 p.m. on November 2, 2015.

Challenge accepted.

I just made a profile on the NaNoWriMo website. I'm taking on the challenge, but tweaking it a bit for myself. Because there are no police or hard-set rules for this.

Firstly, I don't for a minute believe I will accomplish the entire 50,000 words this month. I'm already two days behind, I have no concept for a novel (well, one, but not really) and I haven't managed to do something consistently in a long time, as oft discussed in this blog. So instead I am challenging myself to write something three times per week this month. I will keep a word count and I will add it to my writers profile on the website, but this is largely just a way to get my feet wet again.

Secondly, surprise! I think I'm going to do the writing here on the blog. This will make it easy add updates to the writers profile and, heck, the more people I tell about this the more likely I'll feel some drive to stick it out. Accountability, friends. That's what I'm seeking.

Thirdly, and on a more selfish, non-writing centered note, I am extremely curious to make contact with the local group of writers. The website allows participants to make contact with others in their area and plan meetups to write and, I assume, bounce ideas and edits off each other. It has been so long since I was in the company of writers and I miss the type of discussion to be had there. I want to know what they do for a living, if writing is a hobby or a passion, what kind of ideas they want to share with the world and what struggles they face. Maybe you can leave reporting, but reporting never really leaves you.

I'm also kind of lonely and realizing how little social life I have here, and I would like an excuse to meet some people with similar interests and maybe make some friends. Yes, that's the selfish part of reason three. Sue me.
Honestly, I have very little worth taking, unless you want a lot of coffee mugs.

So what will I jabber on about three times a week without an outline? Without even a vague story idea? Well, the NaNoWriMo website links to several blogs and articles to help writers with things like character development, writing conflict, establishing setting and other useful writer-y things. My idea is to pick one thing and explore it for a thousand words or so a few times per week. After some time, I'd like to combine the skills I'm practicing into a short story (~2,000 words). I'm iffy on posting a story to a public blog, but I'll make the final decision on that if and when I get to that point.

Ideally I'd do two stories this month, the first followed by a second round of skill-honing and another story so I can compare my progress at the end of everything.

Here it goes. Another internet-found challenge to take on. Wish me luck and determination!

Word Count: 615
Month Word Count Total: 615

No comments:

Post a Comment